Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Potty Training 2

This whole potty training thing is harder than I imagined. Reagan is happy to sit on the potty for long periods of time, providing she doesn't actually have to use it. Once she really needs to go, she begins to get up, try to sit on my lap, hug me, run across the room--anything to keep from having to go on the potty.

At least twice she has cried after finally going. And it's not just a little cry; it's a "I can't believe you're making me do this, and if you really loved me you would stop this nonsense right now" cry.

And the potty doll...well, we decided to go for the deluxe electronic model. Only problem is, it totally freaks Reagan out! You "feed" the doll a bottle of water, and after a couple of minutes she begins to say, "Mama, pee pee." Then you put her on the potty and she drips into it. When she's all finished, she's supposed to say, "Dappa," as in "diaper," but we've never reached that point yet. We had to turn it off because Reagan was scared.

So, let's see. We spent around $20 on her potty chair. Then there was $25 for the potty doll and $15 for a potty video (which, by the way, she actually likes). Oh, and we also bought a potty seat to go on the big toilet for around $10. So that's a total of about $70 on potty training supplies, and we're no closer to being potty trained than before. In fact, with all the crying, we may have actually regressed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Val!
I think I read somewhere that toddlers think they are losing a part of themselves when they go potty. They aren't old enough to understand that they don't need that "part" of themselves to keep going. Please keep me updated on this progress as you know I'm absorbing all this for Ellie's potty training days! Lori