Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Potty Training

We've only just begun potty training and I'm already exhausted. I spend most of my time trying to keep a squirmy toddler seated on a plastic potty. I use bribes--something I am philosophically opposed to. I ply her with liquids. I tell her everybody does it. And I beg.

Today, Reagan actually did use the potty once. She promptly began to cry--howl really--afterward. Was she afraid? I don't know. Perhaps she was mourning the loss of babyhood. Maybe she knows that once she starts using the potty, the baby gig is up. She'll be responsible for keeping herself dry and clean.

I'm starting to search for the perfect "drink and wet" doll. This is Dr. Phil's recommended method for potty training. I also plan to get a couple of books on the subject for Reagan to read while she sits. If anyone has any other brilliant ideas, I'm all ears.

(Helpful Hint: Reagan seemed disturbed by the fact that her bottom kept sticking to the seat. Scott suggested putting baby powder on the seat, and it works great. The only problem is that when Reagan gets up--as she so often does--she makes white imprints of her bottom on the sofa.)

No comments: