Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Allergy Warning

Today Reagan was making all sorts of "food" for me with homemade play dough. After a burger and some fries, she asked if I would like some cookies. I said, "Sure." She replied: "They have tree nuts in them. All of my cookies are processed with tree nuts." Her exact words.

Now, this might not seem so unusual, except that Reagan is allergic to certain tree nuts, and we've cautioned her on eating foods that don't necessarily contain tree nuts but might be processed on equipment that also processes tree nuts. In fact, she didn't get to have a cookie from the Fresh Market last week because all their cookies are processed on shared equipment with those that contain tree nuts.

My point is, she's learning! And she's using that knowledge in role play, which will serve her well in a situation where she really should avoid certain foods. Wow, sometimes she just seems so grown up!

No comments: