Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Sticky Situation

I meant to blog about this a couple of weeks ago when it happened, but I got busy and forgot.

One afternoon, I was letting the girls watch a DVD and "rest" while I did some work on my computer. They were being pretty quiet/calm, so I must have relaxed a bit and stopped paying attention to them. A few minutes later, Presley came over to me with her finger up her nose and said, "Ticker." I took that to mean that perhaps she had a "bat in the cave," so to speak, so I did what any other mother would do: stuck my pinky nail up her nose to try to get it out. Only when I did, I felt something hard up the canal of her nose. That's when I realized what she was trying to tell me--that she had put a sticker up her nose.

So...I took her to the bedroom and got her horizontal on the bed. With a trusty flashlight in hand, I instructed her to close her eyes--didn't want to blind her in the process. I could see that the sticker was indeed in her nose, and quite a ways up there. I fetched the tweezers and made a valiant effort before realizing I might hurt her, since I didn't know what I was doing. I resigned myself to calling the pediatrician who, no doubt, was experienced at extracting foreign objects from the noses of preschoolers.

We were in danger of being late for Reagan's dance camp, so I figured I'd drop her off on the way to the doc. I had dialed the phone and was waiting to push 2 to talk to a nurse, when Presley stood before me and sneezed loudly. Out came the sticker! Woohoo! Trip to the pediatrician and a $25 co-pay averted (not to mention much embarrassment for being the parent of "that kid who put the sticker up her nose").

No comments: