Wednesday, May 04, 2005

A Good Read

I read constantly, both for work and for pleasure. At any given time, I have about four or five partially-read books on my desk. And I read a lot of bad books. I very rarely will NOT finish a book. (I just can't stand leaving something undone.) But few and far between are what I consider to be the real jewels of my treasure hunt for a great book. Eats, Shoots & Leaves is one of those rare gems.

If you're in any way involved in writing, editing, or even teaching, you should read it. It's a book about punctuation--its history, its usage, and, most notably, its mis-usage. To the non-stickler, it may sound a bit boring, but I assure you it's anything but. It is a delightful look at one woman's frustration at the growing ignorance--and even the complete absence, in some cases--of punctuation usage in our society.

Now, I have to admit that getting past the British rules was a bit of a challenge to my CMS-driven brain. (That's Chicago Manual of Style for you non-grammarians.) But the sentiment of author Lynne Truss is near and dear to my heart. I am, in her words, a stickler. I tremble with indignity when I see a billboard that reads, "Your Welcome Here" or "Whose Doing Your Taxes?" (If you didn't get those examples, please stop reading now. You're one of them.) I break out in a cold sweat when I see a hyphen where an em dash belongs. And possessives...well, don't even get me started.

I realize that by recommending this book, I am opening myself up to all sorts of criticism for any punctuation "errors" on my blog. First, I will say that this is essentially my journal. I'm writing in a free-form, off-the-cuff style. I do try to at least spell-check before posting, but I'm not doing a full proof or edit. Second, many times what are considered "errors" are actually simply differences in style. I can respect other styles--as long as there is consistency. (Take, for example, the serial comma debate. I prefer the final comma before the "and," but I can respect someone who omits it consistently.)

Final word: If you enjoy words, language, or even just a healthy argument, read Eats, Shoots & Leaves. (Notice the omission of the serial comma. Not my usage, but the author's.) This tops my "Good Read" list for now.

No comments: