Thursday, September 11, 2008

Ashley Update

I received another email update on my neighbor, Ashley. (If you're not familiar with her story, you can read this post http://valsmomblog.blogspot.com/2008/07/pray-for-ashley.html.) Today's update came from her sister Alli, rather than Judy, her mom. I think this is in part because Judy recently had her own cancer surgery, but mostly because she just isn't emotionally able to put everything into words right now. The situation is dire, to say the least. And yet, as always, Ashley's faith remains strong. They truly are an amazing family. I wish you could all know them personally!

In my last update, I mentioned that they were raising funds to send Ashley to Oasis of Hope in Mexico. The money came through with amazing speed, and Ashley was able to go and receive treatment. Certainly the doctors there were hopeful, but also realistic. Only time will tell if Ashley's body has enough fight left in it--although her spirit certainly does!

Here's sweet Alli's update:

Dearest Friends and Family,

When peace like a river attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well with my soul.
Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blessed assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.
It is well with my soul.

I love the verses of this song…and I don’t think I could have come up with greater words than these to describe the spiritual condition of our family right now. Mom is usually the one to give these updates, but I (Alli) will do my best. As many of you know, Ashley has taken a physical turn for the worse. I say physical, because her spirit is still fighting this battle! Her tumors have increased in size and number in the past several weeks. he result of these increases is greater pain throughout her body. It’s as if a firing squad has been given random orders to fire merciless shots throughout her body. In addition to pain, she has almost completely lost the strength and feeling in her legs leaving her frustrated, immobile and in need of a great deal of assistance. After spending a week at Vanderbilt Hospital for pain control, Ashley’s doctors felt that it would be more comfortable for her to come home under Hospice care. On Friday they moved her home with a hospital bed, wheelchair, unbelievable amounts of pain medication, and around the clock nursing staff.

This has been a bittersweet transition for all of us. Bitter, because of the implication that exists with a move to Hospice care, and sweet because we are all here together and friends and family can come and go as they please. It will still take a little “getting used to.” Mom is still experiencing considerable pain from her own surgery, but I’m not sure that it can compare to the pain she is feeling in her heart right now. I suppose if God would just lay his hand right on her chest…it would pretty much cover all the right areas! She is having a hard time being physically weak when she wants to be strong. There is one thing she just can’t seem to get off of her mind though…Thank You Notes! I know…crazy huh? Every day I hear, “Alli, there are just so many people that have given so much. I need to thank them. I can’t forget to write!” So I figured I would just take care of that little job for her by writing to you.

This Paragraph is devoted to you “saints” that have been praying and serving our family for so many years… Someone asked me the other day, “Alli, how are YOU doing through all of this?” My answer was, “I think a lot of people must be praying, because I’m doing OK.” I hope you all know that your prayers are not hitting the ceiling! They are flowing straight up and into our home. I know for a fact that we would be falling apart without the spiritual support that we receive from you, our dear brothers and sisters in Christ. God is good! He always provides for us. I am convinced that every time you have whispered a prayer on our behalf, an action has been carried out in our lives. When you asked God to give me strength, I probably made it up the stairs one more time with a plate of food. When you asked God to give Mom rest, her best friend flew in from Illinois. When you prayed that Dad would be less stressed, he got a different job! You see! You are all warriors fighting this great battle right along side of us. Thank you notes just wouldn’t be sufficient. I think crowns would be much more appropriate! We have put in a large order to heaven, and you will all be receiving one when you get there!

God has blessed us with such wonderful support. He has kept us fed, clean, and emotionally stable through the hands of His children. Though our hearts are breaking right now as we find ourselves standing in our very own “Gethsemane” asking God if there is any other way, we can honestly say that it IS “well with our souls.” It is well because God is in control. It is well because He loves us more than we could ever know. It is well because He loves Ashley more than we do. It is well because His plan is perfect. It is well because He WILL BE GLORIFIED!

I love you and I am so blessed to have you in my life. Thank you for your prayers and support during this time. Please continue to pray for Ashley’s physical restoration, and Gods will to prevail!

In Christ Jesus,
Alli

2 comments:

Angie said...

Wow....what amazing strength and trust. I will be praying for that sweet family. It's truly incredible how people of God, when confronted with the most tragic of circumstances, can manage to praise and rejoice in the blessings before them. For me, four years ago today was the day my mother was eternally healed. I balled my eyes out reading that update, but rejoiced that I know the peace that comes when you know your loved ones are walking on golden streets and feeling no pain. Thanks for posting this, and please know, the Sexton family is praying.

Anonymous said...

I too will be praying. What an incredible testimony of faith.