Thursday, September 04, 2008

How Big Is Presley? Soooo Big!


Presley is now sleeping paci-free! That's right, folks. Presley has given up her paci, and I can't believe how easy it was! I meant to start weaning her from it last weekend, but I kinda forgot until it was already bedtime--and giving up an attachment like that needs a little mental/emotional preparation. So, I decided I'd try it on naps this week and then start doing it at night on the weekend. Of course, as things usually go around here, I put it off until Wednesday.

At around 9:00 a.m. (early, I know), Presley started saying she wanted a nap. Knowing that she has a habit of asking to nap just so she can have a few minutes with her paci (and then "wakes up" about ten minutes later), I told her she could nap, but she couldn't have her paci. She, of course, protested by repeatedly saying, "I want my paci!" I let her lay in my bed with me a few minutes, but she continued with her whining/crying. So, I put her in the crib and told her she could get up anytime she wanted, but she would not get her paci. After lots of crying, I finally convinced her to get up and have lunch and try again later.

After lunch, I started bribing. I told her she'd get a treat if she took a nap without a paci. And when she has been sleeping without her paci for a whole week, I promised to buy her a toy. After that brief discussion, she went down without the paci and without incident. Ten minutes later, "Mama, I wake up from my nap!" Put her back down. Ten minutes later, same thing. But on the third try (fourth, if you're counting the 9:00 attempt), she went down and stayed. . . for at least 45 minutes! (We're calling that a nap.)

Yesterday, she went down for her nap with no tears or complaining without her paci! She slept for two hours! We were so excited that we decided to ask if she wanted to sleep without it last night. At first, she said no, but then I offered her a treat in the morning and reminded her about the toy I had promised her, and she decided she would sleep without it. Again, she went down with no tears, and we didn't hear a peep out of her until morning!!!

But, of course, the first thing she said to me this morning was, "I want toy!" Hey, what can I say? Bribery works!

No comments: