Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Why We Should All Vote


I think I'm finally excited about the presidential election! With the loss of Mike Huckabee (who would still win my vote in a second!) way back when, I couldn't really get behind the Republicans. Oh, believe me, I could still vote against the liberal left, but I just wasn't gung ho about it. Now, with the addition of Sarah Palin to the ticket, I'm finally at peace about my vote. (Say what you will about her family values and having a pregnant teen, but I've seen this happen to families that I respected and would never have thought it possible. The fact is, despite our best efforts, sometimes our kids don't follow our lead.)

And speaking of being excited about voting, my mom sent me an email this week about women's suffrage that reminded me how important it is for us to exercise that right. Most of us think of Susan B. Anthony when women's suffrage comes to mind. We probably think of women in those long, buttoned-up dresses and big hats giving speaches. But women's suffrage wasn't just about a few civic-minded women carrying signs, and it wasn't as civilized as most history lessons would have us believe. Women were wrongfully imprisoned in filthy cells; they were beaten, even tortured, and nearly starved. It's hard to believe that our right to vote is less than 100 years old, but in 1920 the state of Tennessee actually cast the tie-breaking vote in this historic decision.

So if you're looking at the candidates this year, and you're having a hard time committing to one or the other, take a closer look. Do the research and make the effort. Somebody paid a high price for you to have that right. (Cue the music, "And I'm proud to be an American . . .")

2 comments:

Lori said...

It make me think of the mom in Mary Poppins where she's dancing around singing "we're merely solidiers in petticoats!". She's dancing around with the sash in hand and is ignoring the nanny who is trying to quit. Then she goes on to sing "Our daughter's daughters will adore us. And they'll sing in great big chorus...Well done!"

Affording the Mouse said...

Tee hee! that is a good scene. But, alas, it was not exactly accurate.