Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Packing: One Person's Hassle is Another's Bliss

I am probably the most organized person I know. I never lose things, because everything has a specific place in my home, to which the item is always returned. Or so it was. Since having kids, my organization skills have been pushed to the limit. I no longer know where everything is--because somebody keeps moving it!

But I digress... The point of my post is that I'm beginning to pack for the big vacation. (Did I mention that we're going to Disney?) For some, this arduous chore might seem overwhelming or even, dare I say, boring. But for the organizationally-inclined mind, packing is a sweet exercise in transferring the pages of plans one has made on paper into a real-world scenario. I get to see all the handy tips I've accumulated over the last weeks (okay, months really) put into action.

Since we're still two weeks from departure, everything is in a "staging area" in our bedroom. I have my "Ultimate Packing List" next to the suitcases and plastic tub, ready to check off items as they are placed in the luggage. The kids' clothes are packed in individual ziplock bags for each day--complete with matching socks, underwear, and hairbows--inside their monogrammed duffel bags.

Much of the packing will have to wait until the last minute (after laundry is done and cosmetics and hair products are applied). But everything that isn't an essential part of our day-to-day lives is in the stack, ready to go. (Except, of course, for things that Scott is in charge of, since he doesn't share my affinity for planning ahead.)

It will be so rewarding to see my careful planning pay off. Having a gift for spacial relations, there's nothing quite like seeing that last bag fit snugly into the space you've designated for it, knowing your possessions will be secure for the ten-hour drive over mountain and through valley.

Go ahead, call me a geek. I know I am...and I just don't care.

No comments: