Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Read This

My most recent "must read" book on famiy and parenting is Robert Wolgemuth's The Most Important Place on Earth: What a Christian Home Looks Like and How to Build One. The subtitle pretty much covers it: the book offers ideas and principles for making your home a haven for your family where God is the center of everthing that happens there.

None of it is particularly earth-shattering. It's simply a collection of ideas we can all aspire to incorporate into our daily lives. But the personal stories of how these simple principles have made a difference are particularly touching. Seeing Robert's success with his family gave me faith that I could have a similar result with my own.

I had the opportunity to meet Robert several years ago when I was an executive assistant at Word Publishing. At the time, he and his business partner Mike Hyatt (now CEO of Thomas Nelson, where Scott works) were successful literary agents, representing several high-profile authors, and they visited our office quite frequently. While I didn't work closely with either man (mostly fetched coffee for their meetings), I was always greeted warmly and treated with respect. Sadly, that wasn't always the case with other high-profile literary agents.

Anyhow, I highly recommend The Most Important Place on Earth to young parents. Here's a link with more info:

http://www.thomasnelson.com/consumer/product_detail.asp?sku=0785260269#

No comments: