Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Reagan's Peter Pan Complex

Both my kids are huge fans of the classic animated movie Peter Pan. Reagan has also recently become a devotee to the live-action version, Hook, that features Robin Williams as a grown-up Peter Pan and Julia Roberts as Tinkerbell. She's watched it a half a dozen times on On Demand (free, thank goodness). She prays every night (despite Scott and I explaining daily that God's not really a cosmic fairy godmother who grants wishes) that her happy dreams about Peter Pan and Neverland will come true! She keeps asking when Peter Pan will come to her window.

But now we have another problem. You see, I made the mistake of listening to Steven Curtis Chapman's new single, "Cinderella," while Reagan was sitting on my lap. Have you heard this song? (It should be playing now, if you turn up your volume...but I'm never quite sure if the technology is working properly.) I dare you, if you're the parent of a little girl, to listen to it and not weep or at least tear up. Through my tears, I had to explain to a confused four-year-old why a song about a princess had made me so sad. My basic answer was that it made me a little sad to think about her growing up and getting married and not being my little girl anymore. Wrong answer!

Now Reagan says she never wants to grow up. She wants to stay little forever. She wants to be like Peter Pan in Neverland with the Lost Boys. She actually sounded quite serious and a bit concerned that her dream might not come true.

I know this little phase will pass, but now I'm worried that I have stunted her emotional growth simply because I was having a "Mommy Moment." Just so you can relate, here are a few of the song's lyrics:

So I will dance with Cinderella

While she is here in my arms

Because I know something the Prince never knew

Oh I will dance with Cinderella

I don't want to miss even one song

'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight

And she'll be gone

No, I didn't plan this entry based around this photo, but it is kinda appropriate, don't you think? This, by the way, is Reagan's other boyfriend, Tyler, dressed as Peter Pan.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Precious. You are so dear, Val. I teared up reading this one, and then I asked Eric to come over and read it. HE said he doesn't like that song (ha ha -- I then said, "Your daughter has to grow up sometime." He said "no she doesn't." :)
This is a sweet, heart-rending post. thank you for writing it!

Affording the Mouse said...

Thanks, Jenny. As a psychologist, did Eric think I had traumatized her? Seriously, she was almost crying, saying that she wanted to stay little forever.

BTW, Presley LOVES your blog. She will look at the pics or watch the videos and say, "Mo baby!" (That's "more baby."