Tuesday, October 07, 2008

It's the Little Things in Life



I'm trying to have an "attitude of gratitude" these days. I know I can fixate on the negative and let it take over, forgetting how much I have and how good I have it. So, here's a little list of things I enjoy, things that make my life a little bit better:





  • Sugar cubes. Or "dots," as they're sometimes called. I remember these being in our church kitchen when I was a kid. I love them in my coffee or tea because they're just a bit more fun than the traditional spoonful of sugar. They make me feel more refined, more British.


  • Nice pens. Many of you know I have an affinity for office supplies (don't even get me started on Sharpies!). But there's nothing quite like a pen that feels good in your hand and writes flawlessly and effortlessly. Pilot is a favorite brand of mine.


  • Fun shoes. (See my earlier post.)


  • A fresh, untouched Sunday newspaper. Now, lately I am most annoyed with the Tennessean. They are ever-so biased in their political reporting (in favor of the "opposing" team). But I do love to sit and read the paper slowly, and in whatever order I choose, without having to share it.


  • Great songs. I don't mean fun songs that have a great beat (although I like those too). I mean a song that has clever, meaningful lyrics--a song that makes you wish you had written it. My favorite artists are also songwriters, and I'm a closet songwriter myself. As a copywriter, my job is to put the appropriate words together into sentences--words that convey my meaning and capture interest. But a songwriter has to do that PLUS put it into a specific rhythmic pattern and make it fit with the melodic line. Now that's talent.


  • Photographs. In this digital age, we tend to take a lot of pics and hit the delete button more than we probably should. Many of these gems never get printed. But I still like holding a photo in my hand. I like to put them in albums and look at them in groups. Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer flipping through old albums to clicking on thumbnails.


  • Feather pillows. They're getting harder to find, but I have one that my mother had before me. It's probably as old as I am, if not older. Some of the feathers have come out, and the seams have been re-sewn many times, but I still love it.


This, of course, is just a partial list. And it doesn't begin to cover the "big" things I'm thankful for--my God and my family would top that list. So, what are you thankful for?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am thankful for friendships--the kind that stand the test of time!

I am thankful as well for those sugar cubes, especially when sharing an English tea with an old friend.

Last, I must say I, too, am thankful for Pilot pens as they are the only pens that carried me through college when writing papers literally meant "writing"!

Affording the Mouse said...

Nori,

Yes, long-standing friendships rank right up there! That reminds me, I have a place we need to go next time you're in Nashville--a tea shop!

Val

Amanda said...

What a great post. I stumbled onto your site through blogger and I really like your list of things you are thankful for.

I agree about wanting to print out the photos and not just storing them on your computer all the time. Although I do not print them all, I do print alot of my photos for albums as well.

Have a great day!
Amanda

Affording the Mouse said...

Thanks, Amanda. Wow, a genuine reader who is not one of my friends--how exciting! I had to find out who you were, so I went to your blogs and I see that you're a Disney fan. Kindred spirits, indeed, as I am a HUGE Disney fan too. Thanks for stopping by my blog!